The Spaniard, also known as my husband Martin, has been getting creative. He recently installed a long 4 x 4 reflective post in the ice at the end of our ‘driveway’, to help us find our way home at night. It’s a great idea, which Kuzman (our next door neighbour) and I have seriously improved upon. A lone post in the bare expanse of lake ice just seems like a great and fun Yellowknife-style opportunity to unleash some humor and celebrate what is unique and fun and crazy about living on Great Slave Lake. In the winter. In a houseboat. Frozen in.
We’ve decided we need to fill up that bare post with funny signs. We had an entertaining morning last weekend thinking of the possibilities. Like signs saying ‘no diving’, ‘no skinny dipping’ and ‘Hawaii -2 586 492 km’. In true Yellowknife spirit, we wanted to share the fun. That’s where you come in. For the next 2 or 3 weeks, you can submit your contest entry by submitting a comment to this post (see comment box below) suggesting your favorite sign idea. The official contest rules, in typical Yellowknife fashion, are pretty laid back, ( and like so many things in Yellowknife, just plain confusing).. We aim for authenticity.
1. Enter as often as you wish.
2. Bribing the judge is perfectly acceptable, in fact, its encouraged.
3. The best suggestion, selected by the esteemed judge (that would be me) will win the grand prize. (And, if I am really organized, I’ll get the sign printed and put on the post too. The real post that is, not the blog post.)
4. Location of real post will remain unpublished.
5. Judging is based on strictly random and undisclosed criteria, and is severely dependent upon the mood of the judge at contest closing time.
6. Contest closing time remains unknown and undisclosed.
7. Contest winner announced via this blog shortly after contest closing time.
8. One winner selected on the virtue of wit (if the judge does not receive enough bribes) will win the grand prize, which will be promptly mailed to you.
9. Contest officials assume no responsibility for parcel once in the hands of that esteemed Canadian institution, Canada Post.
10. Runners up may be chosen at whim, but will not be otherwise rewarded.
11. Contest entry prohibited to close neighbours and husbands, although all contest judges may participate. (I’m kidding – I don’t want to win the prize myself!)
12. Grand prize consists of one certified genuine and authentic, vintage Northwest Territories license plate. These polar bear shaped license plates are a unique and lasting symbol of the splendor of the northern landscape etc etc etc. Seriously though, they are very neat. A one of a kind item that you have long needed, possibly without realizing it. Imagine this on your Christmas tree this year! If that isn’t enough to move you, consider this – rumor has it they can sell for $50 on ebay.
This could be the next big Yellowknife Bay winter thing. After the ice castle, everyone will want to come and see the Yellowknife Bay Ice Sign Post. Who knows how big this could get? But all depends upon you, dear reader. Let the contest commence!